American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

A Little Time On Old U S 101

Shortly before my time on Old US-80, which I've already mentioned in that route's forum, I spent a day on Historic US-101 between San Diego and Oceanside. That tale is here.

Oh, yah....my old stomp'en ground. I spent many a day on 101. You wouldn't believe what it looked like in 1948, or even in 1960. I worked almost right on it for 4 years in the 1980's. Are the walls of the 101 Cafe in Oceanside still sporting the old photos of the highway? Great stop!

Great reports!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Oh, yah....my old stomp'en ground. I spent many a day on 101. You wouldn't believe what it looked like in 1948, or even in 1960. I worked almost right on it for 4 years in the 1980's. Are the walls of the 101 Cafe in Oceanside still sporting the old photos of the highway? Great stop!

Great reports!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Yep, there are quite a few old photos on the wall though, to my shame, I didn't study them all. Some showed the Cafe in older and smaller times and I looked closer at them than the others.

BTW, for those doing selective reading, I forgot that there's a bit of 101 in the next day's journal when I returned to San Diego.

• 3 weeks later...
Yep, there are quite a few old photos on the wall though, to my shame, I didn't study them all. Some showed the Cafe in older and smaller times and I looked closer at them than the others.

Oh, cool ... I, sometimes, spend too much time studying photographs like this when a business or restaurant has them up on display. I've always been fascinated by how buildings and places and towns/cities change over the years ... and what was "commonplace" in different times....

Thanks for sharing these, too, Denny!

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_07.30.11_Cold.Treat *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Everything is temporary anyway" __ Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians __ 'Circle'