3 replies to this topic

#1 mobilene

mobilene

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:32 PM

A reader of my blog sent me this photo of two of her ancestors. The year was 1917, and this was on the National Road in far western Marion County, Indiana, just east of what was the town of Bridgeport. This bridge was built that year, and (the reader says) the concrete road had just been poured and was curing underneath some straw. I can't tell for sure that the road is actually concrete from this photo, but I'll take her word for it!

jim

Attached Files

#2 mga707

mga707

Weekend Traveler

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

Neat shot! No airport there in 1917. IND is one of the best airports in the US, IMHO, but I digress...
Looking at my Indy city map, I'm wondering if the bridge is a railroad bridge. Even today there is a RR line crossing Washington (US40) that branches off of the main line (northern boundary of IND, just south of and parallel to Washington) in just about that area just east of what was Bridgeport.

#3 mobilene

mobilene

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

Yep, it's a railroad bridge, on the very line you identified! Full details: http://bridgehunter....n/marion/13840/

#4 knightfan26917

knightfan26917

Roadie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:21 PM

Wow ... how cool. "Then and now" pics of that bridge, between the pic you posted, Jim, and the link you gave.

Love that 1917 photo.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * RT_06.2011_us66+NW USA
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Goin' back to find ... a simpler place in time" __ Gladys Knight and the Pips __ 'Midnight Train To Georgia'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users