Most Liked Content

#18709 What's Your Favorite National Park?

Posted by Mike Ballard on 26 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

Of all the National Parks I have visited, my favorite is always Death Valley National Park. I highly recommend a visit to Death Valley National Park, during winter, for all aspiring geologists and earth scientists. Death Valley offers much more than most may think. As a geologist, there is much to see throughout the park. Over 800 million years of Earth history is represented there, from the late Precambrian to the Holocene. The park also offers an interesting look into what life was like for explorers, settlers, miners, and natives alike. Sometimes the beauty of the place is hidden, in time, which is something I enjoy exploring each time I go. A good example of this would be the dry lake bed of Lake Manly, which used to be over 600’ deep and over 100 miles long. The beauty of this once vast lake, while lost to the naked eye, can still be seen if you look hard enough at what it left behind. Salt flats, shorelines, fossils, and other features still tell the tale and still allow visitors to see and experience that period in time. I always look forward to my next visit to the park and can’t wait for my visit this year.

P2240351.jpg

• beckyrepp and Sue H. like this

#18666 New Us-6 Signage

Posted by roadtrip62 on 10 February 2017 - 11:04 AM

I've managed to drive all of US-6 east from Joliet, IL, and all of old US-6 in California.  I've even driven some isolated locations between, including most of Colorado.  I knew I would never get to the whole route, so I created a "virtual" roadtrip, writing about what I might have seen in the year 1962.  I just completed it on my website and it took me 36 virtual days to drive the entire route: there's a lot to stop and see!

• beckyrepp and knightfan26917 like this

#18600 Summit Inn Destroyed By Fire

Posted by Keep the Show on the Road! on 19 August 2016 - 05:29 PM

Sad to see.  This link provides some pretty vivid photos of the event.

http://www.foxla.com...192842126-story

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

• mga707 and knightfan26917 like this

#18337 ** My New Website

Posted by michaeladam on 26 March 2015 - 12:26 AM

I have visit your site and really it is very good.

• roadmaven and knightfan26917 like this

#18715 Help Make The Ultimate Road Trip Playlist

Posted by Mike Ballard on 08 April 2017 - 02:08 AM

"Road to Nowhere" by Talking Heads

"Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads (with the line "Well, where does that highway go to?"

I'll see what others I can think of.

• Sue H. likes this

#18685 Us 6 In Santa Clarita, Ca

Posted by Mike Ballard on 02 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

It looks like the 1938 Santa Clara River bridge, the last remaining structure along the 1939 Newhall-Saugus Bypass will be replaced. Not terribly surprising in that town, considering how much development has occurred in the area. The new bridge will be a bit wider, with sidewalks. The parallel 1968 bridge is also being widened at the same time. The idea is to join the bridges and create a more seamless roadway. While I already have photos, I plan to do a full photo shoot in the next couple weeks, assuming it doesn't rain on the weekend I can go.

For the location and what the structures look like today:

http://www.socalregi...ys/us_6/us6012/

• beckyrepp likes this

#18651 California Agricultural Inspection Stations

Posted by Mike Ballard on 23 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

Those inspection stations do vary quite a bit, from my experience, in how they handle travelers. They do at least have a reason for being. The bulk of the California agricultural industry is insulated from the rest of the country by large mountain ranges and/or large deserts. It wouldn't take much for someone to bring something infested across those natural barriers and contaminate the rest of the land. Mind you, these checkpoints have been used for things other than their stated purposes in the past. During the "Dust Bowl" era, they were partly used to discourage Oklahoma and Arkansas refugees from entering California and "burdening" us with their problems. Today, a few have been co-opted by the border patrol for their inland checkpoints. When it comes to the actual agricultural stations, I have found them to usually be friendly. Could be that I am a Californian and have, with one exception, come across state lines with a California plated vehicle.

Nice story though. It is always interesting to hear about others experiences when coming to California.

• knightfan26917 likes this

#18616 Us 50 Drive

Posted by usroadman on 19 October 2016 - 01:44 PM

Thanks.  Glad you enjoyed both the road and the pictures.

#18599 Summit Inn Destroyed By Fire

Posted by mga707 on 17 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

Just saw the sad news that the historic summit Inn restaurant at the Cajon Pass summit in California has been totally destroyed by the current wildfire.  If anyone has more details, or pictures, please post.

#18555 Portraits Of The Trail 2016

Posted by Road Warrior on 15 May 2016 - 01:26 PM

My wife Leona and I took a trip from Ellensburg, WA to Spokane, WA. on the Southern route.

I put together some scenic photos of the trail.

Here is the link

http://www.sunset-hw...m/portraits.htm

Happy Trails

Curt

#18464 Lifelong Journey On The Road...

Posted by beemerchef on 18 October 2015 - 12:49 PM

i-dM8zNCm-L.jpg

Trying to find Peace... TX

Is it kind of an intermission while at The Oasis in Big Bend, Texas, in and out of Dr's listening to their opinions? It is! Initially not happy about it [who would be?] I have learned to accept the steps required which will some day give me, us, a better quality of Life hindered at the moment by hips and spine falling apart! The hoops one has to jump through has increased. Just these past months the laws have changed and a simple spinal steroid shot which only had a two to three day wait for an appointment is now three to five weeks. All of course are only band aids for the inevitable surgeries which stare at me throughout the near future. So we wait... and wait some more.

The upside is cooler weather here. Perfection it is which brings up the moral as we can ride a few miles here and there especially when Big Bend National Park stares at us daily. "It's not that bad" I keep telling myself as this too shall pass when we regain our previous quality of such Life. One day at the time... Patience, perseverance and a few round trips to Midland!

This space does give us Peace day after day. It is the true design of The Oasis. It is its purpose while away from it all and undisturbed from the mundane realities. These few acres do not have a pedestal topped with self gratification, they do not have the beaming light with the "look at me" neon sign too popular these days across pages and pages of a social media gone too often haywire. That's my opinion anyhow!

The greatest pain relievers are Spirit and Old Faithful. The roads do not cure but lets me forget the internal damaged body. They always do as they did throughout these years past as we are entering our tenth year wandering. It does not require any pills, only fuel and a helmet!

Regardless of it all, I have to feel fortunate towards what we have, what is present and never lose hope that some day soon our quality of Life will be once again present as it use to be. And it will...

And by the way, if anyone could harbor us in Midland [TX] at times, could be for an overnight or eventually two to three weeks when surgeries happen, please let me know. We are low maintenance!!!

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com                    The Journal

www.beemerchef.smugmug.com                  The Photos

10th Year, the Stars, living under them…

#18414 4Th Of July: Red, White, Blue & Convertible

Posted by 32vld on 25 July 2015 - 08:40 PM

I prefer the Impalas from 1960 to 1972. Oh, even though I had a 1967 Impala Convertible, 283, power glide, for me it now has to be a 4 dr hard top.

#18349 A Great Florida Destination

Posted by Keep the Show on the Road! on 05 April 2015 - 07:11 PM

I noted the banner link to Levy County, Florida on the Forum today, and I just wanted to comment that it is one of the most fascinating areas I have ever visited. It has been a couple of years, but our time there was an enduring vacation highlight. I'd return in a flash, and I hope we will, even though for us in Washington State it is a long drive!!

I hope many here will visit their web site for at least a peek at the real charms you can still discover in Florida. Since the Forum banner announcements change, I have added the web site link below.

http://visitnaturecoast.com

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road  

• beckyrepp likes this

#18288 Bee Line Route In Oregon

Posted by fauxsuper on 15 November 2014 - 11:58 AM

The Bee Line route I'm referring to was West of the cascades and an alternative to using Highway 99.    It roughly followed the roads shown near the red line I've drawn on the map.   South of Lebanon, I'm a little less sure of it's route, but I remember signs on a road leading to Brownsville.....
Bee-Line.jpg

• roadmaven likes this

#18193 Money Saving Ideas: So We Can Still Enjoy Our Road Trips

Posted by ShorePatrol on 05 June 2014 - 12:31 AM

I drive a big v8 truck because it suits all my needs and yes although it sucks  gas I found a set of 18" wheels with 78 series tires and figured my gas savings at nearly 20%. Also on the first day out we have enough food for the day. Once on a Thanksgiving outing I had purchased a complete turkey dinner and ate it ina wall mart parking lot inTennesse over a white gas stove, price around $25. the best part however was the childrens faces when they saw the Ahmish horse drawn carriges.I also slow down when going uphill and speed up going down if my math holds it saves around  5%. I made a platform in the bed for sleeping and we store everything under it 2 grownups outside and 2 children inside the extended cab, we do this every other night weather permitting. The rack is our observation post at ElkHart Lake and Watkins Glen. On the other nights we stay in a b & b which we have already set up, and dont forget hitting up your old Air Force buddies. I not only enjoy going to things like the races bu twent to the worlds fair in Knoxville in 1982 and now I am waiting to go to the next Olympics in the USA .But this year is definitely Pumpkin Chunkin so if anyone has been there I could use some money saving pointers

• roadmaven likes this

#18073 Lifelong Journey On The Road...

Posted by beemerchef on 13 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

i-nTRKGss-L.jpg

A much needed change on our Journal, TX

The unexpected is always around the corner in Life, and especially while on the road. As mentioned in our last entry “I am here but truly there”. I am realizing I am so totally in the past while writing this book spanning our seven years on the road. After a quick round trip to San Antonio and Del Rio for errands and eye doctor, we are back here at The Oasis for the duration to complete this book which I am one third into it. For my mental health sake, logistics, time, I have to refrain writing our Journal, yet, continue posting it even most likely more often with photos, videos and some quotes I stumble on. They say “a picture is worth a thousand words”. This will be the case as this space is the perfect one to write while going down memory lane.

Being in San Antonio for just one day made me realize how good we have it here. I thought people had gone mad while driving as Kamikazes. The freeways were as spaghetti dropped in a bowl and if it was not for our GPS, I think we would still be there.
The weather has finally turned to cold on us, gray days these past couple ones and while sheltered and pounding on the keyboard, will take it.

Anything but hot.

So, we hope you enjoy the photos, they are were we are!

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

7th Year, the Stars, living under them…

www.theoasisofmysoul.com                    The Journal
www.beemerchef.smugmug.com                  The Photos

• beckyrepp likes this

#17754 Found A Dated Slab Of Concrete In Cashmere, Wa

Posted by Keep the Show on the Road! on 31 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

Curt,

What a great find!  When that was poured, it was on the National Parks Highway, and of course later (1926) also on the Yellowstone Trail.  

I hope I manage in the future to add to your interest in the Sunset Highway and Yellowstone Trail by getting you interested in the National Parks Highway.  The history of the Sunset Highway is considerably more entwined with the National Parks Highway than with the better known Yellowstone Trail.

The route of the Yellowstone Trail and its great story is well documented.  The National Parks Highway is not.  Interested in becoming the expert?

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

• beckyrepp likes this

#17606 Start Of The New Year Road Tippin'

Posted by 32vld on 22 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Fellow Jeep fan. I have a 2005 wrangler unlimited. Dual top, 6 sp. Love to take the doors off.

• Brainbucket Mike likes this

#17556 Best Issue Ever!

Posted by DennyG on 09 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

I haven't tossed much praise Thomas' way in awhile but "looking like a button off Ed Wood's blouse" is too good to ignore.
  • beckyrepp likes this

#17515 Se Virginia/ne North Carolina Road Trips

Posted by mga707 on 26 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

@mga707 We like the OBX area and get down there a few times a year (usually in the summer, on the bikes). Another great thing about OBX is the light houses. There are three you can get to without taking a ferry and another 2 if you don't mind the ferry.

Thanks for the reply! I haven't been to the eastern side of VA/NC in way too long. Have to get back there sometime. Just to clarify in case someone's wondering, OBX stands for Outer Banks, the long, thin barrier islands that are separated from the rest of North Carolina by Currituck/Albemarle/Pamlico sounds. Long known as the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" due to the large number of shipwrecks, the Banks were also pirate/privateer (depending on which side of British maritime law he was operating under at the time) Blackbeard's favorite haunts. Arrrrr! ;)
  • Brainbucket Mike likes this