Most Liked Content

#18600 Summit Inn Destroyed By Fire

Posted by Keep the Show on the Road! on 19 August 2016 - 05:29 PM

Sad to see.  This link provides some pretty vivid photos of the event.

http://www.foxla.com...192842126-story

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

• mga707 and knightfan26917 like this

#18337 ** My New Website

Posted by michaeladam on 26 March 2015 - 12:26 AM

I have visit your site and really it is very good.

• roadmaven and knightfan26917 like this

#18709 What's Your Favorite National Park?

Posted by Mike Ballard on 26 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

Of all the National Parks I have visited, my favorite is always Death Valley National Park. I highly recommend a visit to Death Valley National Park, during winter, for all aspiring geologists and earth scientists. Death Valley offers much more than most may think. As a geologist, there is much to see throughout the park. Over 800 million years of Earth history is represented there, from the late Precambrian to the Holocene. The park also offers an interesting look into what life was like for explorers, settlers, miners, and natives alike. Sometimes the beauty of the place is hidden, in time, which is something I enjoy exploring each time I go. A good example of this would be the dry lake bed of Lake Manly, which used to be over 600’ deep and over 100 miles long. The beauty of this once vast lake, while lost to the naked eye, can still be seen if you look hard enough at what it left behind. Salt flats, shorelines, fossils, and other features still tell the tale and still allow visitors to see and experience that period in time. I always look forward to my next visit to the park and can’t wait for my visit this year.

P2240351.jpg

• beckyrepp likes this

#18702 A Ford On The Lincoln

Posted by 1114vontagen on 24 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

My wife and I will be starting a coast to coast road trip this summer. We wiil be travelling the Lincoln Highway from San Francisco to New York City. We will then drive north to Plymouth Rock where we will make our return trip on the Yellowstone Trail. We will be driving our 1959 Ranchero and for shelter we will be towing a 1967 Montgomery Ward's tent trailer. I will be blogging the trip, and in fact I already started the blog to discuss some of the preparations for the trip. The blog is : www.afordonthelincoln.blogspot.com  . I will be updating the blog about every 2 weeks, on the first and the 15th until late May or the 1st of June, then my goal is daily or every other day. 

Bill von Tagen

• roadmaven likes this

#18685 Us 6 In Santa Clarita, Ca

Posted by Mike Ballard on 02 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

It looks like the 1938 Santa Clara River bridge, the last remaining structure along the 1939 Newhall-Saugus Bypass will be replaced. Not terribly surprising in that town, considering how much development has occurred in the area. The new bridge will be a bit wider, with sidewalks. The parallel 1968 bridge is also being widened at the same time. The idea is to join the bridges and create a more seamless roadway. While I already have photos, I plan to do a full photo shoot in the next couple weeks, assuming it doesn't rain on the weekend I can go.

For the location and what the structures look like today:

http://www.socalregi...ys/us_6/us6012/

• beckyrepp likes this

#18669 Us 60 - Jackrabbit Trail

Posted by Keep the Show on the Road! on 12 February 2017 - 02:00 PM

Here are a couple ACSC strip maps from my collection showing the road. The lower one is 1924, and the upper one is not dated. As the ACSC often did, they erased the copyright date on the upper map to reissue it. Since they also erased the address it suggests it may have been shortly after their move to their current address, which then suggests an issue date earlier than the lower map (speculation!).

In any event in the mid 1920’s (and perhaps earlier) the Moreno Grade (Jack Rabbit Trail) was the main route, based on the sizes of the lines representing the alternates.

Since the road existed on USGS topos in 1900 and 1905, but is not shown on 1911 ACSC strip road maps and the 1914 Firemans Fund strip maps, it may be that it was little used by autos in the teens (speculation!)

Dave

Moreno.jpg

• knightfan26917 likes this

#18667 Us 60 - Jackrabbit Trail

Posted by Keep the Show on the Road! on 11 February 2017 - 10:25 PM

Mike,

The Jack Rabbit Trail was the old Moreno Grade. I have attached a 1936 Automobile Club of Southern California (ACSC) Riverside County map showing the old grade and what was modern US60 before it was completed through the Moreno Valley.

I also have the #4 ACSC strip map showing it in a bit more detail if you like. It is in the binder I use for xerox copies of my maps, but the original is not in the right place in the originals file, which prevents me from looking for a date on the reverse. Probably 1924-27.

Depending on your (or anyone’s) interest level, I can probably do a bit more digging to locate my original strip map, and I can check my 1915 and later California Automobile Blue books for more detailed road descriptions.

The 1911 ACSC Tour Book shows Moreno and Eden Hot Springs, but not the Moreno Grade. The 1900 and 1905 USGS Topos (on line) show the road as one of three that cross that range, none more important than others, and all of course, wagon roads.

(Click on the image for a larger view)

Dave

Keep the Show on  the  Road

JackrabbitBW.jpg

#18666 New Us-6 Signage

Posted by roadtrip62 on 10 February 2017 - 11:04 AM

I've managed to drive all of US-6 east from Joliet, IL, and all of old US-6 in California.  I've even driven some isolated locations between, including most of Colorado.  I knew I would never get to the whole route, so I created a "virtual" roadtrip, writing about what I might have seen in the year 1962.  I just completed it on my website and it took me 36 virtual days to drive the entire route: there's a lot to stop and see!

#18664 Us 60 - Jackrabbit Trail

Posted by Keep the Show on the Road! on 08 February 2017 - 11:41 PM

I have a ton of old auto road maps of my native state, some as far back as 1906 , which is pretty early for California auto maps, if not wheelmen maps. For some reason now lost in the haze of my aging brain, I studied the Jackrabbit Trail, which I doubt was so named in my maps. But I recall the name from my web research….it might have even come from your site.

No matter, but if it serves any purpose I could probably dig out at least some strip maps (Automobile Club of Southern California)(ACSC) and might even get lucky with an early Grey. And I know I have a 1911 ACSC California tour book with many strip maps. Ask and I will see what I can do (and post the results.)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

#18661 Us 60 - Jackrabbit Trail

Posted by Mike Ballard on 06 February 2017 - 03:42 PM

A while back I put together a post on my website on the Jackrabbit Trail alignment of US 60 through the Badlands west of Beaumont, California. I thought this would be a good place to put a link for other interested parties.

http://socalregion.c...vember-14-2013/

The post covers a bit of the history, routing, and has photos of the roadway. I took a small portion of this again a couple weeks ago and it hasn't changed much, despite the heavy rains we have been having. It is still marked as "Road Closed" and isn't signed from Gilman Springs Road anymore, but it is indeed a through road.

#18653 California Agricultural Inspection Stations

Posted by Keep the Show on the Road! on 23 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

Mike,

I love the California inspection stations.  I was born and raised, educated, and long employed in California, not to mention that my family members were pioneers in agriculture in the San Fernando Valley. I am the first to  defend our inspection stations.  No  one should read my comments as other than a fond expression of a humorous experience.

The inspection stations are one of the most enduring and endearing roadside symbols in America. I was not aware that they had ever been used for other than their legitimate agricultural purposes.  I'm sorry to hear they were ever misused. That is not my view of my native state.  

No one who has ever tasted a ripe California orange or tangerine, or for that matter a plum :) would ever want to be responsible for carrying infected fruit into the state.  I welcome the protection.

My days reach back a few years beyond yours, so I recall  the times when one could drive between my home in La Canada to Riverside or San Bernadino (or Idyllwild where we spent vacations) and see practically nothing but orange groves, and perhaps date farms.  Pomona and Fallbrook, where i also once lived and worked were both at the  heart of that industry.

Your explanation of the important purpose of  the  inspection stations is appreciated by this "native Californian."

Dave

#18652 California Agricultural Inspection Stations

Posted by beckyrepp on 23 January 2017 - 01:42 PM

Love the story Dave! We had a similar experience, but not with a plum. The offending fruit was a banana. 

#18651 California Agricultural Inspection Stations

Posted by Mike Ballard on 23 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

Those inspection stations do vary quite a bit, from my experience, in how they handle travelers. They do at least have a reason for being. The bulk of the California agricultural industry is insulated from the rest of the country by large mountain ranges and/or large deserts. It wouldn't take much for someone to bring something infested across those natural barriers and contaminate the rest of the land. Mind you, these checkpoints have been used for things other than their stated purposes in the past. During the "Dust Bowl" era, they were partly used to discourage Oklahoma and Arkansas refugees from entering California and "burdening" us with their problems. Today, a few have been co-opted by the border patrol for their inland checkpoints. When it comes to the actual agricultural stations, I have found them to usually be friendly. Could be that I am a Californian and have, with one exception, come across state lines with a California plated vehicle.

Nice story though. It is always interesting to hear about others experiences when coming to California.

#18621 Summit Inn Destroyed By Fire

Posted by Mike Ballard on 03 November 2016 - 09:06 PM

While it doesn't cover the Summit Inn, I did go through the area and take photos of US 66 / 91 / 395 through the pass. The latest imagery on Google Earth is also post-fire, so you can see the full extent of the damage.

http://socalregion.c...amage-highways/

From what I understand, it will be rebuilt.

#18620 Us 50 Drive

Posted by Mike Ballard on 03 November 2016 - 09:04 PM

Very cool site. Sites like those only make me want to get out on the road more... certainly not a bad thing. Thank you for your effort.

#18616 Us 50 Drive

Posted by usroadman on 19 October 2016 - 01:44 PM

Thanks.  Glad you enjoyed both the road and the pictures.

#18615 Us 50 Drive

Posted by wlaschin on 18 October 2016 - 07:29 PM

We drove US 50 in late August 2015 from Ocean City to Carson City.  We had a blast.  Every stop along the way was exciting.  The return trip was less exciting, mostly interstate - Coleville, CA to Jacksonville, FL.  Jacksonville Beach to Bethany Beach.  The pictures from USRoadman tell a great story.

#18613 Name Your Car, Old Photos, Steel Diner

Posted by Mike Ballard on 15 October 2016 - 02:47 PM

I named my blue 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R "Leonardo". My bicycle is named "Lassen", the previous one was "Shasta".

#18599 Summit Inn Destroyed By Fire

Posted by mga707 on 17 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

Just saw the sad news that the historic summit Inn restaurant at the Cajon Pass summit in California has been totally destroyed by the current wildfire.  If anyone has more details, or pictures, please post.

#18589 What Does Rare Mean To You!?

Posted by Keep the Show on the Road! on 24 July 2016 - 09:48 PM

Cort,

I have a couple of views on “rare.” One is that it is the best way to order your steak! Bad effort at humor.....but rare doesn't mean good, great, or valuable, but it is often used to imply that.

I have owned a few automobiles in my day that might be rare today, but so what. I once had a Pinto station wagon with classy simulated wood decals!! It also sported a rear window sun screen with cactus motif. I was a single college student, and for some reason it didn't impress the girls.

I bet that car would be “rare” today!! If it didn't explode in an accident, as I am told Pintos sometimes did! I had a sports car before that, but I needed money to go to college, and sold it. I recall I asked a girl out who thought I still had the sports car, and when she saw the Pinto, her actual words were “Oh, that's too bad!” The date went down hill from there......but I digress. :)

I have to admit, when I see “rare” in an ad, I immediately think “junker.” and all they can claim is that there aren't many of them still running.

You asked, so don't blame me!

Dave