#21 Keep the Show on the Road!

Keep the Show on the Road!

King of the Road

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

Dale,

That is not good news, for the International or your wife! :)  I don't know the owner, but some of those places die with them.

Thanks for the updates....I really appreciate them!!

Dave

#22 DaleS

DaleS

Weekend Traveler

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Motorhome traveling, Riding a trail bike, 4x4 pickup, seeing places I never saw and old roads and trails.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hey Dave, another bit of bad news. The piece of 1913 Lincoln I ride my bike on south of Hickison Summit had survey stakes for a new road to cut across it in a few places. No body knows or uses it??

Dale 

#23 Keep the Show on the Road!

Keep the Show on the Road!

King of the Road

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:45 PM

Dale,

I count it as your good fortune to have enjoyed it, and ours that you shared it with us.  We are both of such tender years as to recognize that things change.  We enjoy them, have the privilege of sharing our experiences, and value our great memories.  Keep all of us in the loop.  Your experiences are appreciated and we get to enjoy them through your eyes!

Dave

#24 DaleS

DaleS

Weekend Traveler

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Motorhome traveling, Riding a trail bike, 4x4 pickup, seeing places I never saw and old roads and trails.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

Thanks Dave, I will report next year when we stop by the area again.

Dale

#25 rod

rod

Day Tripper

• Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

While these dams are not the massive structures that most are probably thinking of, there are examples of roadways on dams in Ohio and neighboring states.  Here are a few examples:

Greenup, Kentucky - A bridge on top of the Greenup Locks and Dam that crosses the Ohio River.  This is a true multipurpose structure - its primary function is to maintain water levels in the river for navigation, and it also provides a highway bridge and generates electricity.

Waverly, Ohio - Ohio 104 is built on top of the Lake White dam.

Powell, Ohio - Glick Road on top of the O'Shaughnessy Reservoir dam near the Columbus Zoo.

Delaware, Ohio - An unnamed road built on top of the Delaware Dam across Norris Run to form Delaware Lake.  The road is 1-1/2 miles south of the main entrance to Delaware State Park on US 23.

Russell's Point, Ohio - Ohio 366 built on top of the Indian Lake dam.

Fort Loramie, Ohio - Ohio 362 built on top of the Lake Loramie dam.

#26 usroadman

usroadman

Day Tripper

• Full Members
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Driving US Highways end to end

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

I thought of this topic while driving US 50 over the last couple of weeks.  Somewhere way below US 50 on the right hand side (heading west) was a dam with a road crossing it, and I remember trying to see if the road looked like it was open to the public.  It looked like it was.  Of course now I've forgotten the location.  It was mountainous, so probably either West Virginia, Colorado, or California.

I think I found it.  A bit west of Gunnison, Colorado, and yes, Google claims it's a state highway crossing the dam.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users