44 replies to this topic

#41 DennyG

DennyG

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

mga707, glad to hear about your trip. The pictures did bring back memories. Sounds like fun but I could tell it had been awhile since you were at the Tom Mix site. Those covered picnic tables were there when I stopped by in 2003! biggrin.gif

And it's really good to see this thread get back on topic. Being able to start with the dam, then cover Tom Mix signal whistles. Ralston cereal, side curtains, crank starts, and busted transmissions, before returning to the dam must mean it's a good dam thread. Of course, there's now a risk that it will branch off on picnic tables.

#42 mga707

mga707

Weekend Traveler

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Keep the Show on the Road! @ Mar 1 2009, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I lived in Tucson back in the 1970’s, I recall some of the washes in town were crossed on cement lined fords. That was no problem when they were dry, but as you know, the difference between dry and flood in Arizona can be a matter of an hour, if not minutes.

I recall crossing a ford in Tucson with a little trickle of water on the way to a mall one afternoon, and when I returned an hour later there was a car in the middle of the ford in deep rushing water, and there was a woman in top! She was saved, but I never crossed there after that when it was wet. Do they still have those things, or are the washes in town all bridged now?

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Yes, there are still plenty of streets that have unbridged wash (arroyo) crossings. Invariably during the summer monsoons, someone will drive into one and get stuck, and have to be rescued. On rare instances someone is not so lucky and is swept away and drowned.
For quite a few years now there has been a state "Stupid Motorist Law" that makes one responsible for the cost of one's rescue if one is stupid enough to go around a road barricades, enter a flooded wash crossing, and get stuck!

The old dam picture got me to thinking about dams in the state (AZ) that one can still drive across. Of course there is Hoover, but that time is growing short with the construction of the monster bridge crossing that will bypass the dam. Construction is running a bit behind--there was a bad construction accident with at least one fatality that pushed the completion date back--but I think the new bridge is still scheduled for a 2010 completion.
I believe the road over Davis Dam between Laughlin (NV) and Bullhead City (AZ) has been closed to traffic as well. A bridge replaced that crossing also.
You could drive over Roosevelt Dam on Arizona SR188, just off the famous Apache Trail (AZ88) until about 1990 or so, on a one lane roadway no less!
A very attractive bridge replaced that crossing, and then the dam was heightened and the roadway over the top removed.
I think that leaves Parker Dam on the Colorado between AZ and CA as the only drivable dam with no plan for a bridge replacement.

#43 Keep the Show on the Road!

King of the Road

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (mga707 @ Mar 2 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, there are still plenty of streets that have unbridged wash (arroyo) crossings. Invariably during the summer monsoons, someone will drive into one and get stuck, and have to be rescued. On rare instances someone is not so lucky and is swept away and drowned.
For quite a few years now there has been a state "Stupid Motorist Law" that makes one responsible for the cost of one's rescue if one is stupid enough to go around a road barricades, enter a flooded wash crossing, and get stuck!

The old dam picture got me to thinking about dams in the state (AZ) that one can still drive across. Of course there is Hoover, but that time is growing short with the construction of the monster bridge crossing that will bypass the dam. Construction is running a bit behind--there was a bad construction accident with at least one fatality that pushed the completion date back--but I think the new bridge is still scheduled for a 2010 completion.
I believe the road over Davis Dam between Laughlin (NV) and Bullhead City (AZ) has been closed to traffic as well. A bridge replaced that crossing also.
You could drive over Roosevelt Dam on Arizona SR188, just off the famous Apache Trail (AZ88) until about 1990 or so, on a one lane roadway no less!
A very attractive bridge replaced that crossing, and then the dam was heightened and the roadway over the top removed.
I think that leaves Parker Dam on the Colorado between AZ and CA as the only drivable dam with no plan for a bridge replacement.

Mga707,

Very interesting and maybe something worth looking into….roads across dams. I guess it was sort of an obvious route in many cases in the old days.

We were across Hoover Dam a couple of years ago, and that bridge you mention is mind blowing, almost unbelievable.

I don’t want Denny to gently “scold” me about staying on topic, so I think I will steal your thought and do a fresh thread on roads over dams….with credit to you for the idea! wink.gif

Dave

#44 mga707

mga707

Weekend Traveler

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:35 AM

I finally did the old US 80 road trip across the 1927 Gillespie Dam Bridge today. That certainly is a neat old bridge. I hope it stays open to vehicular traffic. We stopped on both ends and I walked onto the bridge, searching in vain for some sort of a 'data plate' or construction information marker.
The Gila River under the bridge was flowing quite nicely today, and their were people out fishing up by the 'broken' Gillespie Dam. The spring snowmelt from the White Mountains is coming down the Salt River and into the Gila, as the upstream I-10 Gila crossing between PHX and TUS was it's usual dry self!
When I have the time I'll try to post some pictures in the gallery, but I think I may go out to the (much closer to my SE Tucson home base) old Cienega Creek bridge (1921 vintage, IIRC) on the old US80 segment between Tucson and Benson and snap some photos of that bridge as well. The two old 80 bridges make a nice pair!

Edited by mga707, 30 March 2009 - 01:36 AM.

#45 mga707

mga707

Weekend Traveler

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

I've just added my old US 80 bridge pictures to the Gallery. Both the 1927 Gillespie Dam bridge and the 1921 Cienega Creek bridge. One picture would not upload, and one I inadvertently duplicated. Anyone know if there is any way to delete a dupe from the gallery?
Anyway, hope you like them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users