American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Planning A Route 6 Trip From Milford Pa To Cleveland Oh

Dave Reese

Peg an I hope to do about 10 days in September, and we are working on finding attractions, restaurants, and places to stay. I have Grey Towers, Frence Azilium, the Grand Canyon of PA, the Lumber Museum, the Erie Zoo, Brigantine Niagra, Presque Isle Park, Conneaut Lake Park, the Drake Oil Well, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on our potential list. I am eager for other suggestions as well as favorite Inns or Motels and favorite dining spots. Remember that we work very hard to eat a healthy diet now, so we avoid french fries and other fried foods when we pick our places to eat. Thanks everyone for your suggestions...

There's the big sign sculpture near Meadville that was in ARM V6 #4 and the ducks walking on fish at Pymatuning. Although the center of the big bridge has collapsed, I believe some of it still stands and a stop at Kinzua Bridge Park near Mt Jewett might be worthwhile. I recently stayed at America's Best Value Inn in Meadville and can vouch for it being good value. Nothing spectacular but clean, all the stuff you need, etc. I also ate at Chovy's Italian Restaurant in Meadville and liked it a bunch. Several years ago I stayed at the Mansfield Inn, in Mansfield, PA. A nice old fashioned chairs-by-the-door sort of place. From their website it looks like they're still going. I'm not sure the Wellsboro Diner meets your dietary desires but take a look anyway. It's a 1939 Sterling. Finally, knowing you're a Quaker Steak & Lube fan, I have to mention that, when you're in Counneaut Lake, you're just 27 crow miles from the original in Sharon. I've only driven US-6 in western PA once (and eastern PA not at all) but recall it being a very nice drive. I know you're in for a good trip.

There's the big sign sculpture near Meadville that was in ARM V6 #4 and the ducks walking on fish at Pymatuning. Although the center of the big bridge has collapsed, I believe some of it still stands and a stop at Kinzua Bridge Park near Mt Jewett might be worthwhile. I recently stayed at America's Best Value Inn in Meadville and can vouch for it being good value. Nothing spectacular but clean, all the stuff you need, etc. I also ate at Chovy's Italian Restaurant in Meadville and liked it a bunch. Several years ago I stayed at the Mansfield Inn, in Mansfield, PA. A nice old fashioned chairs-by-the-door sort of place. From their website it looks like they're still going. I'm not sure the Wellsboro Diner meets your dietary desires but take a look anyway. It's a 1939 Sterling. Finally, knowing you're a Quaker Steak & Lube fan, I have to mention that, when you're in Counneaut Lake, you're just 27 crow miles from the original in Sharon. I've only driven US-6 in western PA once (and eastern PA not at all) but recall it being a very nice drive. I know you're in for a good trip.

Thanks Denny,

As I continue to plan, I may not stop in Scranton at all as I can daytrip that anytime from home, and then have more time in the Central and Western parts of PA. I did not have a few of those stops on my list, but I have added them. And I completely forgot the QS&L's original site was in Sharon. That could either be at the end of the trip if we never get to Ohio, or else I can hit that when coming back from Cleveland to head home. Thanks again.

I meant: if we run out of time on this trip and I have to head home before getting to Ohio this trip. I have been to Ohio when I visited Cedar Point, and I have an invitation to a race car shop in Cincinnati that I plan to visit in the next few years. Yes, you are right. Never getting to Ohio would be crazy...

I meant: if we run out of time on this trip and I have to head home before getting to Ohio this trip. I have been to Ohio when I visited Cedar Point, and I have an invitation to a race car shop in Cincinnati that I plan to visit in the next few years. Yes, you are right. Never getting to Ohio would be crazy...

I knew you wouldn't avoid us like that. That race shop wouldn't happen to be Doran's, would it?

• 2 months later...
We finished our trip earlier this week, and I put an set of photos from our trip on Route 6 (with a few detours to Sayre, Bradford, Erie, and Titusville) on Flickr

Dave,

Enjoyed the photos. Thanks for sharing them! The Zippo car was fun, but the dog carring his leash is still my favorite...except maybe for the bee.

You didn't get enough photos of the new wheels, however. What does the interior look like?

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Thanks all for the nice comments. Route 6 was very interesting, and the side trips to Sayre, Bradford, Erie, and Titusville added a lot to the excursion. We found lots of nice places to stay and to eat, and the highlights were probably Grey Towers, the PA Grand Canyon, the Lumber Museum, and the day on Presque Isle. I will try to put together more of a write up in the future, but shortly after our return home we had our 11 month old grandson Harry move in for a few days while his parents had a vacation. We are now recovering from our sleep deprivation...