American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Win A Copy Of "harry Truman's Excellent Adventure"

WisHxGeek

It's a most Excellent new contest!

The rules are simple:

1. Give us your best answer to the following question.

2. The most Excellent answer (as chosen by the AR staff) will receive a copy of the book Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure by Matthew Algeo. (read more about this Excellent book at this most Excellent link: http://www.trumanroadtrip.com/page/page/6814761.htm

3. One or two word answers are just no fun at all. Be sure you explain your answers!

4. Any posts that include inflammatory comments will be discarded.

5. Entries may be re-posted online or in print by American Road.

6. You have 2 weeks from the posting of the contest to post your entry in the Forums or on FaceBook Discussion Tab.

7. Winners will be announced in the Forums, on FaceBook and Twitter.

So... here's the question:

Which 20th century president would you most like to have coffee with at a diner? Bonus points for including which diner and why.

rsz_coverxx__1.jpg

I would love to dine with Zachary Taylor. Any man who can own slaves, be opposed to slavery, and decisively handle this by hiding his slaves in the attic of the White House would be an interesting interview. I would go the defunct Blue Moon Diner on Tilghman Street in Allentown, which had a 1957 Chevy on the roof, and had great meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and milk shakes. The diner is still there but it is now a "stone" covered conversion, and is not nearly as much fun. I figure if I am going back to one time period to meet somebody, we can meet somewhere in the middle of our time travels to allow me one more meal at the Blue Moon.

Since Posting I see that the question was 20th Century, so I will have to withdraw my entry...

Edited by Dave Reese

• 2 weeks later...

I envision meeting any of the past presidents (the most recent will do) in a nondescript diner along my travels. It would be in a location neither of us were likely to visit again. As we shared a countertop, we would share our journeys and our dreams, but I would bring up nothing political. In that way, I would give him the gift of being just one of us again. That is a gift that any one of them, having served in the cauldron called Washington, would greatly cherish.

Larry W.

• 4 weeks later...

We have chosen a winner! Congratulations to Josh Friedrich! His winning entry can be found on our Facebook Fan Page under the discussions tab. Be sure to keep an eye out for more contests... we have more travel books to give away to our winners!

Here is a link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Road-magazine/43605721685?v=app_2373072738&ref=nf#!/topic.php?uid=43605721685&topic=41821

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say Thanks for choosing me as the winner of the contest. I am looking forward to reading the book and adding it to my library.