9 replies to this topic

#1 mobilene

mobilene

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:23 PM

Hi all. I'm planning to take a long weekend the first weekend of December, Sat-Mon. Kind of a personal retreat to regroup and clear my head. Ideally, I'd like to rent a cabin, and bring my dog. I'd like to be within a couple three hours of Indianapolis. I'm not looking for luxury -- just a simple cabin, though I'd like it to be heated. I'd like to have the rental come in under $200 for the weekend. This is proving to be much harder than I imagined. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks! jim

#2 DennyG

DennyG

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:27 PM

My daughter has dogs and likes to stay in some cabins in Hocking Hills near Athens, Ohio. Unfortunately, that's well over three three hours from Indianapolis and would require you to cross the state line (and quite a lot of the state:-).

#3 roadmaven

roadmaven

Roadie

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:2-lane highways, vintage campers, Corvairs, camping, greasy diners

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:54 PM

I found a few here (scroll to the bottom), but some of the prices are a little pricey. Plus one, Eby's Pines, is up near your old stomping grounds, so that might not be too much of a retreat.

Another option could be a KOA Kabin or Lodge. I found one example at the KOA in Horse Cave, KY, mentions:
Kamping Lodges,great for a couple or a family and traveling with their furry friends.The lodge has a bathroom,fridge, microwave,queen size bed,futon & 26'TV w/DVD player.We have A/C NOW!!!
For up to 4 people.
On their website they have an estimated rate for 12/4 -- 12/6 at approx $60/night: http://koa.com/campgrounds/horse-cave/
Posted Image

#4 mobilene

mobilene

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:14 AM

Another option could be a KOA Kabin or Lodge. I found one example at the KOA in Horse Cave, KY, mentions:
Kamping Lodges,great for a couple or a family and traveling with their furry friends.The lodge has a bathroom,fridge, microwave,queen size bed,futon & 26'TV w/DVD player.We have A/C NOW!!!
For up to 4 people.

Roadmaven, that looks almost perfect. I will check into it today! Thank you! jim

#5 knightfan26917

knightfan26917

Roadie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:36 PM

Hey Jim,

Have you looked into church camps at all? Sometimes, they will have cabins they rent out on a regular basis during the "off season".

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* 06/2011.RT=us66+NW USA*
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Wake me up inside" ... Evanescence ... 'Bring Me To Life'

#6 mobilene

mobilene

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:27 AM

Knightfan, I wouldn't know where to begin to look for one. But thanks for the tip for the future. jim

#7 DennyG

DennyG

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

Have you pursued the Horse Cave KOA and, if so, will you be doing any sightseeing in the area? The Dixie Highway, Wigwam Village #2, and other old stuff is nearby.

#8 Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland

Roadie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Reuben sandwiches, manual typewriters

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:05 PM

I have stayed at the Oakes Motel cabins before, in Cave City. They are pet friendly and should also be quiet. It is definitely a lot more "mom-and-pop" than the KOA, and used to be the "Rock Cottage Court" back in the day. Should come in under your price range, too.

Posted Image
(not my photo)

Chris

#9 mobilene

mobilene

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:05 PM

The Horse Cave KOA's phones both ring to fax lines. KOA's customer service says their phones are working, but no matter what I do I can't get through. So they must not want my business!

Chris, thanks for the tip on the Oakes; I'll check it out.

If I end up staying down there, I really am going to kind of do some thinking. I will probably do some hiking at Mammoth Cave Park. I'm not sure if I'll do any roadsleuthing.

#10 knightfan26917

knightfan26917

Roadie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

Knightfan, I wouldn't know where to begin to look for one. But thanks for the tip for the future. jim

Jim,

You are welcome.

One of which I know in Indiana ... is Camp Mack in Milford IN....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Chicagoland Meets, 2011?
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Yuletide carols being sung by a choir" ... Nat King Cole ... 'The Christmas Song'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users