Day Tripper

• Full Members
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Two Lane Traveling
    Hot Rods & Muscle Cars
    Genealogy
    Hockey

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

I was by the Old DH/county line on Tuesday and did not find a Lee/DH marked. There is a large stone Brevard county over on the current US-1 which may have also been the DH. Possibly more interesting was Dixie Lane which runs east-west about a mile north of the county line. We followed it to its end but I figured it really was somebody's lane but when I looked at DeLorne it was labeled Old US Hwy 1.

I am certainly behind but I did get Tuesday's journal up earlier today. It's here:
http://www.dennygibs...day05/index.htm

Nice write up of the trip in your blog Denny. I particularly like the pics of the brick road section and that you had an opportunity to drive it this time.

We spent some time in the Hendersonville, NC library yesterday, trying to go through some old maps and historic descriptions of the area but we didn't learn too much. There was a nice history of the Old Buncombe Turnpike, which ran from Hot springs, NC down into South Carolina, and was essentially the same route the Dixie Highway later followed, but no mention of the Dixie was made. The librarian told me that there are boxes of unsorted materials that include maps and area histories that he has yet to go through. Maybe he'll find something of interest. In the meantime I am keeping my eyes open on ebay for relevant Green Book and Blue Book tour guides of that area.

#22 Keep the Show on the Road!

Keep the Show on the Road!

King of the Road

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

I was by the Old DH/county line on Tuesday and did not find a Lee/DH marked. There is a large stone Brevard county over on the current US-1 which may have also been the DH. Possibly more interesting was Dixie Lane which runs east-west about a mile north of the county line. We followed it to its end but I figured it really was somebody's lane but when I looked at DeLorne it was labeled Old US Hwy 1.

I am certainly behind but I did get Tuesday's journal up earlier today. It's here:
http://www.dennygibs...day05/index.htm

Denny,

I enjoyed you last day post and especially your visit to Weeki Wachee. I note that you were especially interested in the mermaids and found them to be “exceptional athletes.” Your photo with mermaid Karri definitely displays her athletic qualities, and your ear to ear grin bespeaks of your appreciation for those qualities.

If anyone here doesn't get Denny's missives, you can view the latest at:

http://www.dennygibs...fl012012/day09/

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

#23 DennyG

DennyG

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

Your photo with mermaid Karri definitely displays her athletic qualities...

Surely you've heard the term "sports figure".

Before we are accused of drifting off topic, I'll remind everyone that Weeki Wachee is right on the path of the Dixie Highway Tampa - Saint Petersburg Loop although the road was officially gone long before the mermaids came along. Plus, as further evidence of my own dedication to the road, I'll point out that the aforementioned Karri's hometown is the Dixie Highway village of Aripeka which I drove through on the way to Weeki Wachee. The trip that more or less wrapped up at Weeki Wachee wasn't all on the DH but the last two days (day 8 & day 9) were on the Tampa - Saint Pete Loop and I earlier mentioned day 5 as being an unsuccessful search for one of the markers in this thread's title. Days 1, 2 & 4 also contain a little Dixie Highway. I was really surprised on day 1 when I saw the Powell Airplane with an all new skin almost completely in place. I just now uploaded a picture of the plane to the forum's gallery here. Knoxville and the Dixie Highway are going to have a very nice new/old attraction very soon.

#24 BlueRidgeMike

BlueRidgeMike

Day Tripper

• Full Members
  • 80 posts
    Hot Rods & Muscle Cars
    Genealogy
    Hockey

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

Days 1, 2 & 4 also contain a little Dixie Highway. I was really surprised on day 1 when I saw the Powell Airplane with an all new skin almost completely in place. I just now uploaded a picture of the plane to the forum's gallery here. Knoxville and the Dixie Highway are going to have a very nice new/old attraction very soon.

Very cool. I drove through there just a few weeks ago but never saw it. It will make a good excuse for a day trip on the next nice weekend though.

#25 BlueRidgeMike

BlueRidgeMike

Day Tripper

• Full Members
  • 80 posts
    Hot Rods & Muscle Cars
    Genealogy
    Hockey

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

Well it took a while because I have been busy Dixie Highwayin' and other highwayin' this year, but I finally made it down to Florida to snap the 10th and possibly last of the Robert E. Lee / Dixie Highway monuments placed by the Daughters of the Confederacy. Here are the images, ordered from northernmost to southernmost. One is on the Eastern Alignment, one is on the Western Alignment, and the rest are on the Carolina Division of the highway. There may be others, but thus far no one seems to know for sure. 

Dixie Highway Monument 1 - Franklin, OH
Franklin, Ohio - The only one of the 10 on the Eastern Alignment, and the only one in the North.

Dixie Highway Monument 2 - TN-NC State Line
TN/NC State Line - As you drive from Newport, TN to Hot Springs, NC you will spot this monument on your left as you cross into North Carolina.

Dixie Highway Monument 3 - Hot Springs, NC
Hot Springs, NC - Just before making a sharp left and driving downhill into the town of Hot Springs you will spot the largest of the 10 monuments on your right.

Dixie Highway Monument 4 - Marshall, NC
Marshall, NC - Marshall used to be a one street town, bordered by rough mountain terrain on one side and the French Broad River on the other. This monument sits in front of the Madison County Courthouse in the middle of town.

Dixie Highway Monument 5 - Asheville, NC
Asheville, NC - In the heart of Asheville in Pack Square sits the next monument, dwarfed in the shadow of the Vance Memorial obelisk.

Dixie Highway Monument 6 - Fletcher, NC
Fletcher, NC - The next monument can be seen on a busy commercial stretch of US-25, right in front of the Calvary Episcopal Church.

Dixie Highway Monument 7 - Hendersonville, NC
Hendersonville, NC - The next monument is hard to find if you don't know where to look because it no longer sits on the Dixie Highway. The highway ran down Main Street in Hendersonville, and the monument once stood in front of the historic Henderson County Courthouse. For a reason unknown to me, the monument was moved and rededicated in 2008 to Church Street which runs behind the courthouse. This may have been done to follow what once was the location of the re-routed US-25.

Dixie Highway Monument 8 - NC-SC State Line
NC/SC State Line - As you leave North Carolina on Old US-25, look to your left and you will see the last monument in the state. 

Dixie Highway Monument 9 - Greenville, SC
Greenville, SC - The last monument on the Carolina Division of the Dixie Highway can be found on Main Street in Greenville, though technically it is a block or two north of where the highway actually intersected with the street.

Dixie Highway Monument 10 - Bradfordville, FL
Bradfordville, FL - You will be driving a long way before seeing monument #10. The Dixie Highway follows the Carolina Division to its intersection with the Eastern Alignment in Waynesboro, Georgia. You will then continue on to Jacksonville, Florida where you will leave the Eastern Alignment and take a connector to Tallahassee, where you will pick up US-319 and begin heading north on the Western Alignment of the highway. As you approach the Georgia border you will make a U-turn on the divided highway, heading back south about 8/10 of a mile. A pullout on the right holds the location of the 10th monument. 

#26 DennyG

DennyG

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

Excellent. Great to have all these documented. I'll need to visit the ones I've missed after I figure out which ones they are.

#27 BlueRidgeMike

BlueRidgeMike

Day Tripper

• Full Members
  • 80 posts
    Hot Rods & Muscle Cars
    Genealogy
    Hockey

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

Denny - I look forward to seeing you on the Lincoln Highway in a couple of weeks.

#28 DennyG

DennyG

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

I'm guessing you're the guy driving the '72 MC. I'll be there but at the moment it's unclear whether I'll be in a '63 Valiant of a '11 Forester.

#29 BlueRidgeMike

BlueRidgeMike

Day Tripper

• Full Members
  • 80 posts
    Hot Rods & Muscle Cars
    Genealogy
    Hockey

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

Yep, that's what I'll be driving unless something drastic happens between now and then. I have been giving it a good workout in preparation for the LH tour. I drove it on a 2,200 round trip to the Jefferson Highway conference in Olathe, KS with a sidetrip through Missouri on Route 66. Then we did our loop on the sourthern Dixie Highway. Last weekend we did a 400 mile day trip to northern Georgia. The car is doing what it is supposed to, at least for now. I hope you are able to bring the Valiant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users