American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Help Using Delorme Street Atlas Software

BlueRidgeMike

I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction with the Street Atlas USA 2012 software I bought. I don't want to do anything particularly difficult with it (I don't think) but I haven't had much time to play with it yet. Basically, I want to be able to draw our route back from California to North Carolina and print it out section by section. Is there a simple way for me to do that? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Hi Denny,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually going to be in Charlotte all day at a car show, so it will probably be over the weekend some time when I can get back to this. I knew from some of your previous posts that you were familiar with using this software, so I'm sure I will be picking your brain. What precipitated my original request was that when I tried to create a specific route (not even sure of the process I used now) the software kept trying to "snap" back to a more direct route, typically along a nearby interstate. The only way I could force it to stay on my route was by inserting a whole bunch of artificial waypoints along the way. Eventually the software told me I had exceeded the number of allowed waypoints, which I think was 100. So I figured I was not using the correct procedure and rather than beat my head against a wall I would ask the experts. :sDOH:

Mike

Sounds like you may have "Quickest" selected. If so, selecting "Shortest" (right side of "Route" tab with "New/Edit" selected) will help. Regardless, inserting vias (artificial waypoints) is really the only way to create the route you want. This is the unavoidable conflict that roadies have with all routing software. Over time you'll learn how to minimize them somewhat but you may still reach that limit and the only solution is dividing the route. Unfortunately, SA does not provide an easy way to do this. When I did the Lincoln Highway west from Indiana I had a separate route for each state and apparently had to break both Nebraska and Iowa into three legs.

So, I believe you're basically using the correct procedure and just bumping into DeLorme's limits and the natural conflict between the path you want to follow and the one that some computer algorithm spits out. It can be aggravating but, as I said, is really unavoidable. Even if DeLorme had a "follow the alignments of 19xx" setting (Wouldn't that be cool?), you might want to insert or skip segments depending on whether you are driving your Lamborghini or your Hummer. Of course, you wouldn't have this problem if you could just be satisfied with going where everyone else goes. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man this software is driving me crazy. After several hours I was able to create and print my route from San Diego to El Cajon. Then, starting to feel confident, I created the next section from El Cajon to El Centro. While the route includes all of the roads I want to drive on it also decided to put me on I-8 in the wrong direction, then off at the next exit, and back on I-8 to the original exit. It happened in three different places and no matter how many waypoints I add or where I move them it doesn't solve the problem. I even set my preferences to avoid limited access highways and that didn't help either. Any thoughts before I give up and use magic markers on paper maps to draw my 6,000 mile route?

:wacko: Mike

The only thing I can think of is that stops or waypoints are out of sequence. Under "Route-Advanced-Route Prefs" make sure "Display Route Vias" and "Display Waypoint Labels" are both checked. Then examine the route to see if all waypoints are numbered in the sequence you intended. If not, they can be moved into the desired sequence under "Route-Advanced". If waypoint sequence is correct and the problem remains, I'd be happy to take a look at your route on the chance that I see something. Just email the "anr" file to denny (at) dennygibson (dot) com with any hints, clues, and details you think appropriate.

Hi Denny,

Thanks for the tip. I added the waypoint labels which makes it easier to track things. I still don't understand why it was doing what it was doing though. I was trying to get off of I-8 in California at Exit 80 to take a look at some 1927 and 1932 sections of US-80. The map shows an off ramp and then an on ramp. It allows me to exit there but will not let me get back on I-8 there. Instead it sends me back west to Exit 77, then I get back on eastbound I-8 at the same place and continue on. There doesn't appear to be an issue with the entrance ramp at Exit 80; I even double checked it visually with Google Maps and the off ramp and on ramp both appear to be open.

In any event, the issue is solved, and I'm getting (slightly) better at using the program. thanks for the help, as always.

Mike

As hard as it is to believe :) , there is always the possibility that DeLorme is just wrong. Some errors can be overcome by adding "routable road" in the Draw layer but not all.

Another possibility is that you had a via in the "wrong" lane. The via looks like it's right in the middle of the road but zooming in reveals a divided highway with the via in or nearer the incorrect lane. I've done that plenty of times and the out-of-sequence thing too.

I took a look at the area you're talking about and immediately recognized exit 77 although I don't think I've ever used exit 80. You probably know the attractions better than I do but I'll still mention Desert View Tower and Boulder Park. Both very cool and worthwhile. Do you happen to have Jeff Jensen's Drive the Broadway of America? It's available here. Eric J. Finley's Old US 80 guide is also pretty good but it's out of print. Amazon does show some used copies. One is in "acceptable" condition for $9 while the others are in better condition with unacceptable prices. :P

Hi Denny,

I do have Jeff Jensen's book, and much of what I am doing right now is reversing his route to make it easier to navigate as we go along. Plus once we hit the Texas state line we're on our own so I'm still trying to decide between the various possible routes. By the way, I just bought the $9 copy of Eric Finley's book on Amazon. After reading that stellar review by some guy named Denny Gibson, how could I not. :D

Mike