American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Stayed at the Holbrook Wigwam January 1/2, 1993. Even with the space heater cranked up, it was COLD!! Icy wind blew all night and all the next day while at Petrified Forest National Park. Felt colder then than I did in Barrow, Alaska, a couple of years ago!

Stayed at the Holbrook Wigwam January 1/2, 1993. Even with the space heater cranked up, it was COLD!! Icy wind blew all night and all the next day while at Petrified Forest National Park. Felt colder then than I did in Barrow, Alaska, a couple of years ago!

Note to self: Bring arctic gear when spending New Years in Holbrook Arizona.

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately for me there were no teepees available when I passed through but it is on the list for next time.

http://www.rwphotos.com/blog/?p=904

Roadhound

On our most recent trip just completed a couple of weeks ago we stayed in all three. Cave City, KY on May 30th, June 8th in Holbrook, AZ (first time there) and June 10th in Rialto/San Bernardino, CA. They are all fun in their own way, but I can also confirm that a wigwam in Kentucky in February is mighty cold as well!

My trip blog, if you're interested is http://mecurtis.blogspot.com

Mike

I noted your radiator problems via the Route 66 Yahoo group but didn't realize that BlueRidgeMike was one half of Mike & Sharon. Didn't realize there was a blog, either. Guess I wasn't paying sufficient attention. I just now scrolled through it and can see you had a good time. Having a new Texas radiator for a souvenir is pretty cool but I think I'll stick to key chains.

Hi Denny,

I forget that I go by a different screen name here and that I know both you and Cort from both places. The radiator was the most expensive souvenir I ever bought, especially when you add in 8 days of renting a car, but all turned out well. :) The biggest disappointment was that we had to abort our return trip along US-80 though we were able to capture a chunk of the Lee Highway. Another real high point was getting to stay in the newly restored Boots Motel in Carthage, MO. It's a must for anyone passing through there. I also got some great shots of an old abandoned section of the Jefferson Highway in Carthage that used to be North Main Street.

Mike

Thanks Dave. There were several shots of the Ford, but they were all east of Amarillo. I think there are some in front of the Boots Motel, the Wagon Wheel Motel, and right under the Route 66 "Begin" sign at Adams & Michigan in downtown Chicago. I had planned to get pictures at the two 66 wigwams in Holbrook and Rialto, plus I especially wanted to get one under the Blue Swallow Motel sign in Tucumcari and in front of the Santa Monica Pier. Oh well, maybe another time or another car.

Mike

I noted your radiator problems via the Route 66 Yahoo group but didn't realize that BlueRidgeMike was one half of Mike & Sharon.

I forget that I go by a different screen name here and that I know both you and Cort from both places

*face palm*

Somehow ... I missed that, too, Denny. Mike ... sorry I didn't make the connection between "BlueRidgeMike" and "Mike & Sharon". My goodness ... can't believe I missed that.

As to the Wigwam ... during my September 2009 Route 66 trip, I slept in BOTH Wigwams in AZ and CA! I took a BUNCH of pictures at both places, too.

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Beginning to think that I'm wasting time" __ Dobie Gray __ 'Drift Away'

Hey Mike,

LOL! I do have a warm set of pajamas ... and some flannel sheets, too. Still ... I'd rather visit in the spring, summer, or fall months.... Maybe someday I'll get to that Wigwam Village!

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"So tired that I couldn't even sleep" __ Soul Asylum __ 'Runaway Train'

*nods*

Thank you, Mike ... much appreciated. I'm feeling OK ... just a little anxious to see the Xray (to be done Saturday AM) results next week.....

As for the village in KY, sad thing is ... I've driven by there on I-65 a few times back'n'forth to Nashville TN. Aye.

"Someday slowly turns to never" __ Tanya Tucker __ 'Soon'