US 6 bridge history california

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike Ballard

Mike Ballard

Day Tripper

• Moderators
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Mostly US highways, mostly California. I follow the geology as well as the history of the roadways. I have online tours of US 6, US 99, and the Ridge Route from Los Angeles to Bakersfield (US 6 from Los Angeles to Tonopah, NV) on my website - socalregion.com. KM6GCB

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

It looks like the 1938 Santa Clara River bridge, the last remaining structure along the 1939 Newhall-Saugus Bypass will be replaced. Not terribly surprising in that town, considering how much development has occurred in the area. The new bridge will be a bit wider, with sidewalks. The parallel 1968 bridge is also being widened at the same time. The idea is to join the bridges and create a more seamless roadway. While I already have photos, I plan to do a full photo shoot in the next couple weeks, assuming it doesn't rain on the weekend I can go.

For the location and what the structures look like today:

http://www.socalregi...ys/us_6/us6012/

• beckyrepp likes this

#2 knightfan26917

knightfan26917

Road Warrior

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

I love seeing the old stamps on bridges, like that "1938" carved-etched into the concrete!  Sure appreciate the detailed photos, Mike.  I look forward to seeing your additional pics.

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc
"All my pictures seem to fade to black & white" | George Michael | 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: US 6, bridge, history, california

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users