American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Free Vintage Maps

Keep the Show on the Road!

Keep, your two newest links are broken. You might want to have a look. jim

Rick,

I'll take a look. My son is coming for a visit so it may be a couple of days.

Jim,

Thanks, I'll check the problem. I still have bugs to fix and routeens to develop. Need any maps posted?

Later....I think I fixed it. I had a slash leaning the wrong way in the last URL's and while IE was fault tolerant, Firefox and Netscape are not. Bet you use Firefox!

Alex,

I'm glad to have brought back some memories. Being in Starkville, Miss., most of the month, if I want to head west I almost have no choice except to go through Winona. After the ~sixty miles on four-lane U.S. 82, I always welcome the chance to go through downtown Winona. Like most places have, I'm sure it has changed in (almost) fifty years.

Keep,

I appreciate your keeping Zoomify for the format, but I would have no objection to your using PDF files if those aren't as big.

I have the 1926 ABB, which is mainly focused on turn-by-turn directions, so the maps from the 1927 edition are welcomed! I was very fortunate to get an ABB that came with a map and the holder (which added $1.00 to the $3.00 cost of the book!), but since the map covers most of the East Coast, the level of detail is very low.

It's interesting to see how many towns (or, probably more correctly, villages) were recognised then in places that are just open country today. For instance, in the Vol. 4 Sec. 35 map near my house, there are five named places between the Lamar county line and Lumberton on what is today Miss. Hwy. 13; today, Baxterville is the only one that is noteworthy. The only remainders of many of those villages are the names of the roads (i.e. Wells Road north of Lumberton).

Thanks again,

Tracy

I think I fixed it. I had a slash leaning the wrong way in the last URL's and while IE was fault tolerant, Firefox and Netscape are not. Bet you use Firefox!

heh! "Fault tolerant" -- spoken like someone who has spent time in systems development and implementation! Yeah, I'm on Firefox.

• 2 weeks later...

The HistoricalRoadMaps.com site is growing gradually. With the help of a new 11 X 17 size scanner I can now scan a whole map without aligning and stitching sections.

I have tried to put up first the states where I know some of the American Road Gang live. Thus 1926 California, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi, and Pennsylvania maps are now up and Nevada got added along with California. Alex, Tennessee will follow next. Since I don’t know where everyone lives, give me a state and I will put it up ASAP. I will give Becky the state map files when they are all scanned.

The only way anyone can reach me concerning the maps they might want me to post is via this forum, so American Road Forum members have the highest priority. In fact members have the only priority.

I have also posted a few other maps including a set of 1951 strip maps for Route 66 in New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas, some Pike’s Peak Ocean to Ocean maps for Indiana and Illinois, and Ohio is ready to upload. I also added some 192X ACSC strip maps of the Lincoln Highway Branch in Colorado.

My plan is to continue to add the 1926 state maps as fast as I can, but I also want to add additional more detailed maps. I’m thinking I will do some 1924 TIB strip maps of the Lincoln in Nebraska for Larry F.

For transcontinental auto trail fans I posted the 1926 USA map and the route logs for each of about 20 trails in the Clason’s Exhibit accessible from the first page of the site.

I tested printing the maps from the screen display and find that they will fill an 8.5 X 11 sheet almost perfectly. Thus if you want hard copy, you can select the scale in Zoomify you need and print sections to fit standard binder pages.

Roadhound, you asked about your area. I have a rare 1907 Gray’s auto map of the area, but the guide it is in can’t be scanned without damaging the binding. I can half open the book and do a digital photo (which will probably include my thumbs). I can tell you that nobody lived there in 1907, or at least few traveled there, as there is one lonely road with a couple of tiny towns...and little detail. None the less, it is fun to see it as the 1907 traveler did. A topo would give a lot more detail, but I will scan the Gray’s pages and send them via e-mail.

If anyone finds dead links or other problems let me know. And give me your requests by e-mail or post here.

Oh, and BTW, I note that one or two of us has been trying to corner the midwest Rand McNally Auto Trails Map business on Ebay. You know who you are. ;) One of these days maybe all of us should talk about coordinating or we will be bidding against each other eventually. :D Just a thought.

Oh, and another BTW. Jennifer or Roadmavern, would I be breaking a rule if I decided when I sell a map, etc on Ebay to give those who post on AR a discount that I note in the Ebay posting? Just another thought.

The HistoricalRoadMaps.com site is growing gradually...
...and quite nicely. Zoomify continues to impress as a good tool for this sort of image and the site itself is both attractive and usable. A very solid base from which to grow when, how, and if you see fit. It's lookin' good.

Regarding the eBay comment, I've bid on a few and bought a couple so clearly resemble that remark. I've neither the desire or the means to corner any market but I'm pretty sure your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek when you said that. In Springfield, Pat mentioned seeing my not very obscure handle in some auction and we both stated our intention to not bid against anyone we knew. This was a pre-existing decision for both of us. When considering entering an auction, I try to check any previous bidder's name, location, etc. for clues. To date I don't believe I've run into anyone from this forum (or other online groups). I suppose it's possible that someone I know is registered in a manner that trully hides their identity in which case I wouldn't feel particularly guilty in bidding against them.

I just posted the goodies from a 1913 American Motorist Magazine. PPOO inspired me with his terrific cover shots to dig through my small collection of period magazines.

The May 1913 American Motorist is especially good in that it has an early map of the transcontinental trails and several terrific articles. You may or may not recognize Fishers Rock Road or the Overland Trail. The Dixie Trail isn’t what you think it is, and is that northwest route the Yellowstone Trail?

The 1913 map and the articles are at historicalroadmaps.com. They can be accessed via the Exhibits on the first page.

Just about anyone with any interest in the old auto trails will enjoy the road descriptions in the articles. This is one time I think I can be confident you won’t be disappointed if you take the time to at least scan the articles. And the authors are legend.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated, especially as to whether adding articles is valuable. I have perhaps 50 -75 of these old magazines, not all of which are as informative. But there are road tours and the like frequently presented.

I added more state maps as well and will continue until the whole set is up.

I also talked with a neighbor who has about 10,000 vintage postcards, many of which are real photos. I told him we might collaborate in posting some that relate to the maps. I don’t know if he will be interested in the idea, but your thoughts and encouragement might be a talking point when I see him next

Oh, and another BTW. Jennifer or Roadmavern, would I be breaking a rule if I decided when I sell a map, etc on Ebay to give those who post on AR a discount that I note in the Ebay posting? Just another thought.

Hi there.

Great resources! Thanks again for sharing.

Re: the question of breaking a rule - I don't think so. . . at least not an AR rule. You might need to check Ebay's rules, however.

:D becky