American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Art Deco Freeway Bridge Suggestions

prbharris

As a bunch of modelers based in the UK, we are looking for some pictures of interesting Art Deco Freeway bridges as examples to model for our Exhibition layout. We need the bridge to span a number of tracks, but we will adopt the example to match. We are looking for some of the archetypal clean lines of the 1930 designed bridges.

Our bridge will be nearly a yard in length and we hope to include a slip road in the design too. However, trying to find some good pictures and examples is not easy from here in Sherwood Forest, Nottinghamshire, so I am appealing for help.

Trying to search for this has been caught by the 'four letter rule' in this group [searching for 'art deco'], so apologies for asking if this has already been covered - pointers to other threads would be helpful

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Peter Harris

Black Diamonds N Scale Group

http://freespace.virgin.net/sr.lamb/blackdiamonds/home.htm

Hello, Peter, and welcome to the forum. I don't know that we have many modelers here but I may be surprised. That often happens when someone mentions a new hobby/interest and we hear from members who share the interest but just haven't mentioned it.

Nor am I aware of any photos in the gallery here that fit your needs but I think I can point you to some that do. I live near Cincinnati whose Union Terminal is often mentioned as an Art Deco showpiece. Justice League fans are accidentally familiar with it since it's the half dome building the cartoon heroes copied for their Hall of Justice. It was built in 1933 and is being given a fair amount of attention for its 75th anniversary. Check it out here.

But what I think you'll really be interested in is the 3500 foot viaduct that was built as part of the terminal project. There are some rather good pictures and other information here. In addition, I do get by there now and then so could probably photograph any sticky details that were needed as long as no one was in a great hurry for them.

Our company has an office in Sheffield which I've visited a couple of times and have at least been driven past Sherwood Forest. My most recent visit was seven or eight years ago and I have no reason to think I'll be back any time soon. But if I am and you find this information helpful, I'll extract a finder's fee of a pint of Caffrey's. Can't get the stuff here and I can only hope it's still available somewhere.

But what I think you'll really be interested in is the 3500 foot viaduct that was built as part of the terminal project. There are some rather good pictures and other information here.

This is really helpful - but the double deck is a bit beyond what we are looking for I suspect. The details on the Western Hills viaduct are a great start. Thanks. Any other pictures of wide concrete arch(es) built in the 1930's would be really useful. It is details like the sidewalls and arch fronts that we just can't find easily.

Peter

As a bunch of modelers based in the UK, we are looking for some pictures of interesting Art Deco Freeway bridges as examples to model for our Exhibition layout. We need the bridge to span a number of tracks, but we will adopt the example to match. We are looking for some of the archetypal clean lines of the 1930 designed bridges.

Peter

Peter Harris

Welcome Peter,

I have always thought about modeling the bridges of Connecticut's Merritt Parkway on my slot car layout, but doubt that any of them will make it. But I have always admired how it seems that each overpass is a different design. I found a few web sites which may be of help to you. http://www.past-inc.org/historic-bridges/m...kwybridges.html has some history and photos, while http://www.roadfan.com/merrittpage1.html shows photos of a number of the bridges, although some of the photography is poor. Just do a google search of "merritt parkway bridges".

Good luck with the project. Let us know what prototypes you select to model and then let us see the finished results.

I like the decoration and style of the James Farm Road Bridge, although it is later than I expected, being built in 1940

Stratfordhttp://www.roadfan.com/merrittpage1.html shows photos of a number of the bridges

The Merritt Parkway Bridges are more stone looking than I was expecting. I am hoping for the clean lines of off-white concrete! English typecasting of what constitutes an American Freeway bridge, I guess.

You might try a search on Oregon coast bridges. They were built in the 30’s and might give you some pointers.

Thanks I will try these too

Let us know what prototypes you select to model and then let us see the finished results.

Will do - although this is a long term project!

Thanks again

Peter

I'm guessing that you may already be aware of the Bridge Hunter site. It supports some pretty complex searches although the "Show only bridges with photos" selector seems ineffective.

Closer to home (for me) are two sites on Ohio bridges. This state run site has lots of pictures and other information but it isn't searchable. The drop down list works fine but clicking on the map seems to only lead to an "under construction" announcement. Old Ohio Bridges includes a section on arch bridges.

Another couple of candidates that I'm somewhat familiar with are the 1932 Blaine Hill Viaduct and the 1937 US-22 Little Miami River Bridge. I once lived directly beneath the US-22 bridge.

Our bridge will be nearly a yard in length and we hope to include a slip road in the design too. However, trying to find some good pictures and examples is not easy from here in Sherwood Forest, Nottinghamshire, so I am appealing for help.

Trying to search for this has been caught by the 'four letter rule' in this group [searching for 'art deco'], so apologies for asking if this has already been covered - pointers to other threads would be helpful

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Peter Harris

I Googled "Joplin, MO railroad bridge" and came up with the following photo of one of my favorite viaducts - just north of the old terminal. There were actually two viaducts in Joplin but in my opinion this one is better. Hope the 2-line web site will open for you. If not, you can do the same search. Good luck....Bliss

http://cdm.sos.mo.gov/cdm4/item_viewer.php...BOX=1&REC=8