Photo

Adventure Touring Vehicles - What Do You Drive?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 roadmaven

roadmaven

Roadie

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:2-lane highways, vintage campers, Corvairs, camping, greasy diners

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:12 PM

After reading through here, I realized I hadn't made a reply to this thread. So here goes! We've got three to choose from, depending on the length of the trip. First is my '98 Honda Civic. Just turned over 180K miles and it still runs like a champ. I'd not hesitate to drive it to the west coast....except I would hesitate to drive to the west coast only because it doesn't have cruise control.

Our second choice is Jennifer's '04 Corolla. It's "Choice A" when making a long roadtrip, simply because it does have cruise control!

And lastly is the old '65 Corvair. Mainly used for day trips within a couple hundred miles from home. The older both the car & I get, the fewer miles we want to be stranded from home. rolleyes.gif

#22 thermactor

thermactor

Day Tripper

• Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (roadmaven @ Oct 21 2008, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to say one of the VERY wide portions of the Mississippi River.

Wow! Yep, you got it! Right down here below the observation platform in the shaky little town of New Madrid, MO.
http://maps.google.c...&...mp;t=h&z=18

Good job!!

Wes

#23 hutchman

hutchman

Day Tripper

• Full Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:52 AM

Really nice looking Corvair!

#24 jack

jack

Day Tripper

• Full Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Have 30' Class &quot;C&quot; Gulfstream Motorhome. Have to be satisfied with vacation road trips till two kids are out of college. Then my wife and I plan to go Full-Timing. I'll try any highway that's not an Interstate.

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (mobilene @ Jun 24 2008, 06:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just have the one car, for business and pleasure - my '03 Matrix. It isn't particularly stylish, but it gets 35 mpg and has never let me down. Also, it is small enough to go down a one-lane former alignment, turn around, and go back -- and carry my two large dogs along for the ride too.

From a "neighbor" one forum down "RV'ing on the American Road" , Jack Burke:

I noticed two postings for the Matrix. Do you happen to know...does it come as a manual transmission, how much does it weigh, and have you seen them towed four-wheels-down during your travels?

Thank You,
Jack Burke
DeKalb, Illinois

On the Lincoln Highway

#25 mobilene

mobilene

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:32 AM

Mine has a manual transmission, and depending on trim level and options they weigh between 2,600 and 2,900 pounds. I've never seen one towed. jim

#26 wanderlustjake

wanderlustjake

Day Tripper

• Full Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:54 AM

Jack,

If you are looking at the Matrix, have you ever considered a Pontiac Vibe? Couple guys I work with have them and like them.

http://www.pontiac.com/vibe-2009/

It is the same car as the Matrix. GM (and the domestic industry) needs all the help it can right now. Just thought I'd mention it for consideration.

Jason

#27 DennyG

DennyG

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:08 AM

I believe I own the lone Vibe in American Road Magazine Forum's fleet of Matrices and Matrix derivatives and I'm quite happy with it. Around 34 MPG and enough room in back to sleep occasionally.

#28 Dave Reese

Dave Reese

Roadie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Slot Cars, Choral Singing, Photography, Family, Sports, Autoracing History, Matchbooks, and my Triumph TR3B

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (DennyG @ Nov 17 2008, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe I own the lone Vibe in American Road Magazine Forum's fleet of Matrices and Matrix derivatives and I'm quite happy with it. Around 34 MPG and enough room in back to sleep occasionally.

I definitely had been considering the Vibe when I ended up buying the Acura TSX used instead. I still admire the Vibe, and actually like the look better than the Matrix. I am glad to hear that it works well for you Denny.

#29 flivver

flivver

Day Tripper

• Full Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Touring the back roads in my 1919 Hudson. Vintage camping with 1920's equipment. !900-1929 music. American manufacturing history. Also early vintage radios, phonographs and television etc. etc . etc .

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hi All: I drive a car that was on these roads when they were new. A 1919 Hudson 4 passenger Super Six Model "O" touring. Cruises well at 60-65MPH and will top 100mph. Has a flat head inline 288 cid 6 cyl that develops 80 Hp.(A lot for 1919) She cost $2,200 new. (A Ford was $400). This car is all original including paint. The old byways just seem better in a vintage auto. ( This is the same car in my photos posted by Alex Burr in members gallery) We also have a 64' Rambler Classic 660, a 57' Nash Metropolitan, a 65' Jeep Wagoneer and last but not least a 1960 BMW R50 motorcycle. (we are on a limited income and can't afford newer cars) I forgot the 84' VW camper that doesn't run. Mike...

Attached Files

Edited by flivver, 03 July 2010 - 10:47 PM.

#30 Alex Burr - hester_nec

Alex Burr - hester_nec

Road Warrior

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:Hudson automobiles, "Blue" Hiways, reading and computers.

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:43 AM

Hi All: I drive a car that was on these roads when they were new. A 1919 Hudson 4 passenger Super Six Model "O" touring. Cruises well at 60-65MPH and will top 100mph. Has a flat head inline 288 cid 6 cyl that develops 80 Hp.(A lot for 1919) She cost $2,200 new. (A Ford was $400). This car is all original including paint. The old byways just seem better in a vintage auto. ( This is the same car in my photos posted by Alex Burr in members gallery) We also have a 64' Rambler Classic 660, a 57' Nash Metropolitan, a 65' Jeep Wagoneer and last but not least a 1960 BMW R60 motorcycle. (we are on a limited income and can't afford newer cars) I forgot the 84' VW camper that dosn't run. Mike...

I don't know me Mike - but as I said on the phone the other day traveling 60-65 on wooden (old wooden) spoke wheels does leave me a little on the cool side. I'd sure be checking them suckers every time I stopped somewhere.

Hudsonly,
Alex Burr
Memphis, tN

#31 Andrew Van Winkle

Andrew Van Winkle

Day Tripper

• Full Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Family, road trips, woodworking, photography, and homebrewing.

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:53 AM

Wow! I can't compete with all of your rides for looks, but this big old black beauty was the best road trip ride I ever drove. It floated down the highway, had comfy suede-like fabric seats that you could stretch out on, and it even went off-road a couple times without flinching (I think it sits on a truck chassis). It's an Oldsmobile Delta 88. Does anyone know what year? Here it is parked at a campground beside the Grand Teton Mountains.

Posted Image

Andrew Van Winkle
Road Trip Wise

#32 mga707

mga707

Weekend Traveler

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 242 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:28 PM

Wow! I can't compete with all of your rides for looks, but this big old black beauty was the best road trip ride I ever drove. It floated down the highway, had comfy suede-like fabric seats that you could stretch out on, and it even went off-road a couple times without flinching (I think it sits on a truck chassis). It's an Oldsmobile Delta 88. Does anyone know what year? Here it is parked at a campground beside the Grand Teton Mountains.

Posted Image

Andrew Van Winkle
Road Trip Wise

Not a truck chassis, just the same rear-drive GM B-body platform as the Chevy Caprise/Impala, Pontiac Bonneville, and Buick LeSabre. From your side view shot it could be anywhere from a 1980 through an '85 model. Would have to see the front and/or rear views to narrow it down, as those areas were what got 'tweaked' every model year during that time frame.

#33 DennyG

DennyG

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:21 AM

I've just acquired a new "adventure touring vehicle" although driving it right now involves a little more adventure than I'd like.

Posted Image

It's a 1963 Valiant in desperate need of a new top. I bought it specifically to drive the Lincoln Highway during its centennial year in a car exactly half as old as the road.

#34 mga707

mga707

Weekend Traveler

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:10 AM

I've just acquired a new "adventure touring vehicle" although driving it right now involves a little more adventure than I'd like.

It's a 1963 Valiant in desperate need of a new top. I bought it specifically to drive the Lincoln Highway during its centennial year in a car exactly half as old as the road.

Beautiful! Don't see a 'V' emblem on the fender, so I assume it's got the 'bulletproof' (and long-running) "slant six"?

#35 Alex Burr - hester_nec

Alex Burr - hester_nec

Road Warrior

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:35 AM

My road trip ride used to be a '97 Caddy Sedan de Ville d'elegance - yeah, right - with the infamous North Star engine. However, when I realized I was getting on first name terms with the folks at AAA road service (North Star engines are junk!!! I had the original engine replaced due to a blown head gasket - 2nd engine did the same), I decided it was time for a new ride.

I went out and found a "new" old car - a 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera, V-6, sedan. Turns out to be a great little road trip car - only two things wrong. The drivers seat is a bit to straight up and down for my taste, but it's not all that uncomfortable - I'm just used to having a seat that slopes back a tad. The other is the cruise control doesn't work - but having been brought up driving cars that were built before the days of cruise control (unless you wanted to pull the throttle button out - and who among you young 'uns remember that trick?? - or even know what a throttle button is!!!) not having cruise is ok with me.

The other positive with this car is I'm into "orphan" cars - like Hudson and AMC, so the Olds, being no longer made, fits my lifestyle just fine.

The attached photo is a "publicity" shot with Ole Missy in the background. Not a bad looking little car - and it only cost me $1800. The garage I got it from wanted $2300, but they gave me $500 for the Caddy (I'd a given THEM $500 just to take it off my hands!!!!)

Safe travels everybody and a great year coming up.

Hudsonly,
Alex Burr
Memphis, TN

Attached Files

#36 DennyG

DennyG

Road Scholar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

Beautiful! Don't see a 'V' emblem on the fender, so I assume it's got the 'bulletproof' (and long-running) "slant six"?

Yep. A slant six with Torqueflite (Guess I'm gonna hafta learn how to spell that). My impression is that the Valiant didn't get a V8 until 1964.

#37 Alex Burr - hester_nec

Alex Burr - hester_nec

Road Warrior

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

I agree on the "bullet proof". One of the last sources of employment I had, before I decided sitting around enjoying life was better, was mowing lawns for my son-in-law. I hauled around an equipment trailer with 1 riding mower, two big 60" walk behind Toro mowers, a couple of smaller push mowers, plus related equipment, with a 1987 Dodge 1/2 ton with a slant six in it. The miles were up around 150,000. I weighed the loaded trailer one time - it came out to 1600 pounds, fully loaded. Used that rig for 4, 5 years - I will admit that when I sold it for literally nothing to a fellow who wanted to restore it for his son she was getting a tad shaky. But it was still a "go-anywhere-do-anything" truck.

Hudsonly,
Alex Burr
Memphis, TN

#38 knightfan26917

knightfan26917

Roadie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:07 AM

Very cool, Denny ... congratulations!

That'll be a neat vehicle to drive the Lincoln Highway.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * 04.16.2011_DwightILmeet
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Crank up the music" __ Steven Curtis Chapman __ 'Live Out Loud'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users